I created this sweet coffee-flavored recipe as an entry for our state fair, adding the toffee topping to "dress it up". I'm glad I did— the pie won first place and is now a family holiday favorite!
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee granules, crushed
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 chocolate crumb crust (9 inches)
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Heath candy bar (1.4 ounces), crushed
- In the top of a double boiler, combine the sugar, flour and salt; gradually stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over boiling water until thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in coffee granules.
- Gradually stir a small amount into egg yolks; return all to pan. Cook and stir for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat; add butter and vanilla. Cool for 30 minutes. Pour into crust; chill.
- In a bowl, dissolve coffee granules in a small amount of cream. Add sugar, vanilla and remaining cream. Whip until stiff peaks form. Spread over filling; sprinkle with crushed candy bar. Chill. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Coffee Cream Pie in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1999, p41
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Coffee Cream Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review