Coffee Cake with Raspberry Filling Recipe
This pretty coffee cake, swirled with a fresh raspberry filling, is tender and moist with a crunchy crumb topping. “You could use cherries, blackberries or blueberries instead of raspberries,” Mary Ross notes from Washburn, Wisconsin.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling YIELD:6 servings
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace, optional
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cold butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Add mace if desired. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk the egg, milk and vanilla; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Spoon into a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in water until smooth. Add raspberries and lemon juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over batter; cut through with a knife to swirl.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter; top with nuts. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece equals 519 calories, 22 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 85 mg cholesterol, 502 mg sodium, 75 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC