Warm, buttery coffee cake: you just can't beat a good one. And Janice Kuhlmann's recipe for Sour Cream Coffee Cake is just that. With a lovely, tender interior and a slightly crunchy crust, it has a wonderful texture not unlike poundcake. But it's the lemon and almond flavors plus the full cup of walnuts that really take this Stafford Springs, Connecticut reader's cake over the top on taste.
Featured In: 23 Ways to Get Your Pumpkin Spice Fix
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the lemon juice, lemon peel and extract. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Sour Cream Coffee Cake in Light & Tasty
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Coffee Cake Sour Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review