Coffee Cake Mix Recipe
Keep this handy mix in your pantry and you can whip up a last-minute coffee cake in no time. Cinnamon and nutmeg provide a delicious homemade taste that's better than any boxed mix. It makes a wonderful gift. —Linnea Rein, Topeka, Kansas
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup buttermilk blend powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup shortening
- TOPPING MIX:
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 8 squares)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. In a small bowl, combine the topping mix ingredients. Store both mixes in separate airtight containers in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 2 batches (9 cups cake mix, 1-1/3 cups topping).
- 2. To prepare coffee cake: Contents of mix may settle during storage. When preparing recipe, spoon mix into measuring cup. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, water and 4-1/2 cups cake mix just until blended.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Sprinkle with 2/3 cup topping mix. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 1 cake (9 servings per batch).
1 serving (1 piece) equals 373 calories, 15 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 227 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC