Coffee-Braised Short Ribs Recipe
- 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds small red potatoes, cut in half
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 whole garlic bulb, cloves separated, peeled and slightly crushed
- 4 cups strong brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1. Sprinkle ribs with 1 teaspoon salt, coriander and pepper. In a large skillet, brown ribs in oil in batches. Using tongs, transfer ribs to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Add potatoes and onion.
- 2. Add broth to the skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in garlic and remaining salt; add to slow cooker. Pour coffee over top. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- 3. Remove ribs and potatoes to a serving platter; keep warm. Strain cooking juices into a small saucepan; skim fat. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in vinegar. Remove from the heat; whisk in butter. Serve with ribs and potatoes. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving: 320 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 569mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Reviews for Coffee-Braised Short Ribs
"This was not a bad flavor but just too much grease for our family. No matter how much you brown them, that many bone-in beef ribs ends up in too much fat after 6 to 8 hours in a crockpot. Plus I am a lazy cook...I don't want to put something in my crockpot that I have to spend all of that time browning on top my stove first."