Coffee-Braised Short Ribs Recipe
- 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds small red potatoes, cut in half
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 whole garlic bulb, cloves separated, peeled and slightly crushed
- 4 cups strong brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Sprinkle ribs with 1 teaspoon salt, coriander and pepper. In a large skillet, brown ribs in oil in batches. Using tongs, transfer ribs to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Add potatoes and onion.
- Add broth to the skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in garlic and remaining salt; add to slow cooker. Pour coffee over top. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove ribs and potatoes to a serving platter; keep warm. Strain cooking juices into a small saucepan; skim fat. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in vinegar. Remove from the heat; whisk in butter. Serve with ribs and potatoes. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Coffee-Braised Short Ribs(1)
Sort By :
This was not a bad flavor but just too much grease for our family. No matter how much you brown them, that many bone-in beef ribs ends up in too much fat after 6 to 8 hours in a crockpot. Plus I am a lazy cook...I don't want to put something in my crockpot that I have to spend all of that time browning on top my stove first.
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Ribs >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Beef Recipes >