- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1/3 cup ground coffee beans
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1-1/2 cups strong brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns, crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 hoagie or kaiser buns, split
- 10 slices pepper jack cheese
- Cut roast into thirds. Combine the ground coffee, salt and pepper; rub over roast. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides; drain.
- Transfer meat to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the celery, carrot, onion, chicken stock, brewed coffee, parsley, coriander seeds, cumin, peppercorns, cinnamon stick and bay leaf; pour over roast.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. When cool enough to handle, shred meat. Skim fat from cooking juices. Strain cooking juices, discarding the vegetables, cinnamon stick and bay leaf.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup pork onto each bun; top with cheese. Serve with cooking juices. Yield: 10 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Coffee-Braised Pulled Pork Sandwiches
Sort By :
"Super good and easy! A crowd pleaser. I bought bone in shoulder and it was juicier than the boneless."
"I may have to get back my 5-quart cooker from the thrift shop just so I can try this! It sounds great, but I will use ordinary ground coffee, I believe. That said, anything is improved by using coffee!!"
"Rated so I could post....could I just use coffee...I do not keep beans...or would that be to finely ground? Sounds interesting..."
"Too many ingredients for a very simple result. =(Happy Mom&Wife"