- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 2 tubes (10.2 ounces each) large refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup Nutella
- Confectioners' sugar and baking cocoa
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop biscuits, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, place cream in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1 minute; stir in coffee granules until dissolved. Add cream cheese and Nutella; beat until smooth.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a very small tip. Fill bag with coffee mixture. Push the tip through the side of each doughnut to fill with cream. Dust tops with confectioners' sugar and cocoa. Serve immediately. Yield: 10 doughnuts.
Reviews for Coffee & Cream Doughnuts
"The filling was a bit messy and a bit loose, but they sat until after brunch was eaten (about 30-45 minutes) and it had firmed up. EVERYONE asked for the recipe! It was ther perfect little sweet thing for after brunch, with coffee/tea! Yum!!"
"This is truly a bad recipe."
"I am an experienced cook and have made from scratch doughnuts and the biscuit dough donuts before with great success. However, this recipe was a disaster at every turn. I have a good quality deep fat fryer and set the temp for 375 as directed. I fried the dough until it was dark brown, yet they were doughy in the middle. The filling turned out too loose to be a pastry filling. I tried to "doctor it up" with confectioners sugar and marshmellow cream and it remained too bitter (I used Starbucks Via instant coffee) and loose. I finally gave up. This recipe had every ingredient I love, but I wonder if anyone ever tried making it or just wrote down things that sounded good. I'd love to know if anyone has had success with this recipe as written."