My father made up this sweet, flavorful recipe for my mother when he took over the cooking. We serve it with whole-wheat pasta or brown rice. —Ann Marie Eberhart, Gig Harbor, Washington
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 4 cod fillets (6 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Hot cooked whole wheat pasta
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Place tomatoes in a blender. Cover and process until pureed.
- Pat fish dry with paper towels. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add cod fillets; cook 2-4 minutes on each side or until surface of fish begins to color. Remove from pan.
- In same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook and stir 2-4 minutes or until tender. Stir in seasonings and pureed tomatoes; bring to a boil. Add cod; return just to a boil, spooning sauce over tops. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5-7 minutes or until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork. Serve with pasta. If desired, sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Cod with Hearty Tomato Sauce in Simple & Delicious February/March 2016
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Cod with Hearty Tomato Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review