My father made up this sweet, flavorful recipe for my mother when he took over the cooking. We serve it with whole wheat pasta or brown rice. —Ann Marie Eberhart, Gig Harbor, Washington
Featured In: 40 Super Satisfying Dinners for Lent
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 4 cod fillets (6 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Hot cooked whole wheat pasta
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Place tomatoes in a blender. Cover and process until pureed.
- Pat fish dry with paper towels. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add cod fillets; cook 2-4 minutes on each side or until surface of fish begins to color. Remove from pan.
- In same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook and stir 2-4 minutes or until tender. Stir in seasonings and pureed tomatoes; bring to a boil. Add cod; return just to a boil, spooning sauce over tops. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5-7 minutes or until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork. Serve with pasta. If desired, sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Cod with Hearty Tomato Sauce in Simple & Delicious February/March 2016