Cod with Fennel Stuffing Recipe
- 1 cup (8 ounces) plain yogurt
- 2-1/4 cups finely chopped fennel fronds, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 to 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups stuffing croutons
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 cod or flounder fillets (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 medium lemon, sliced
- 1. For sauce, combine the yogurt, 1/4 cup of fennel, lemon juice, chives, salt if desired and pepper in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- 2. In a small skillet, saute celery and onion in oil until tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the croutons, broth, eggs and remaining fennel. Spoon about 1 cup stuffing mixture onto each fillet; roll fish around stuffing.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top each with a lemon slice. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork and a thermometer inserted into stuffing reads 160°. Serve with fennel sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 476 calories, 15g fat (3g saturated fat), 193mg cholesterol, 869mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 42g protein .
Reviews for Cod with Fennel Stuffing
"Made this because had fresh fennel to use up. Thought it was very good. The cod we had was rather thick so we didn't roll them - just spread the stuffing in the pan and laid the cod on top to bake and this worked fine."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.