Cod & Vegetable Skillet for Two Recipe
- 1/4 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 cup fresh baby carrots, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup sliced onion
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cod or haddock fillets (4 ounces each)
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the beans, carrots and onion in butter for 2 minutes. Stir in the flour and seasonings until blended; gradually add broth and wine. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Add fillets to the pan. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Yield: 2 servings.
1 fillet with 3/4 cup vegetable mixture equals 220 calories, 9 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 624 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.