Coconut Yule Trees Recipe
- 3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 4 ounces dark chocolate candy coating
- Vanilla frosting, green sugar and assorted sprinkles
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto a waxed-paper lined baking sheet; refrigerate, covered, 1 hour. Shape into trees; return to baking sheet.
- 2. In a microwave, melt chocolate coating; stir until smooth. Spoon over or dip trunks of trees; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Decorate trees as desired with frosting, green sugar and sprinkles. Yield: 2 dozen.
Editor's Note: Dark, white or milk chocolate confectionery coating is found in the baking section of most grocery stores. It is sometimes labeled "almond bark" or "candy coating" and is often sold in bulk packages (1 to 1-1/2 pounds). It is the product used for dipping chocolate. A substitute for 6 ounces chocolate coating would be 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet, dark or white chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon shortening melted together.
1 serving: 130 calories, 7g fat (6g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 51mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 0 protein.
Reviews for Coconut Yule Trees
"We have made these every year for several years. I suggest making the trunks skinnier than you might think because they get thick with the chocolate."