This simple yet satisfying coconut cookie recipe has been around for generations. Pressing a fork into the top gives the look of an old-fashioned washboard. —Tommie Sue Shaw, McAlester, Oklahoma
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs. Gradually add water and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Fold in coconut. Cover and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
- Shape into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking
- sheets; flatten with fingers into 2-1/2-in. x 1-in. rectangles. Press lengthwise with a floured fork. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 9 dozen.
Originally published as Coconut Washboards in Taste of Home October/November 1995, p25
Reviews for Coconut Washboards
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review