Coconut Sweet Potatoes Recipe
In Nacogdoches, Texas, Hasel King mashes sweet potatoes with pineapples, orange juice and seasonings. With a streusel-like topping of coconut and pecans, its sweet taste and pretty look will garner praise. TIP: To switch it up, follow Hasel's lead and substitute peanuts for the pecans.
- 1-1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 6 medium)
- 1/3 cup crushed pineapple
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Place sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 30-35 minutes or until tender. Drain; cool slightly.
- Peel the potatoes and place in a large bowl; mash. Add the pineapple, butter, orange juice, egg, salt, mace and ginger; mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-30 minutes or until heated through.
- Combine the coconut, pecans and brown sugar; sprinkle over the top. Bake 8-10 minutes longer or until topping is lightly browned. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Coconut Sweet Potatoes in Quick Cooking September/October 2005, p45
Reviews for Coconut Sweet Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review