Coconut Surprise Candy
What's the secret ingredient in these dipped balls? Mashed potatoes! The spuds create the creamy texture, while coconut and chocolate chips figure big in the flavor.
24 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup mashed potatoes (prepared without milk and butter)
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, combine coconut, sugar and mashed potatoes; mix
- well. Roll into 1-in. balls; place on waxed paper-lined baking
- sheets. In a microwave or double boiler, melt chocolate chips and
- shortening; stir until smooth. Dip the balls into chocolate and then
- walnuts if desired. Return to waxed paper until chocolate is set.
- Yield: about 4 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 137 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 27 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.