What's the secret ingredient in these dipped balls? Mashed potatoes! The spuds create the creamy texture, while coconut and chocolate chips figure big in the flavor.
- 2-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup mashed potatoes (prepared without milk and butter)
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, combine coconut, sugar and mashed potatoes; mix well. Roll into 1-in. balls; place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. In a microwave or double boiler, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip the balls into chocolate and then walnuts if desired. Return to waxed paper until chocolate is set. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Originally published as Coconut Surprise Candy in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1999, p39
Reviews for Coconut Surprise Candy
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 18, 2012
"This is exactly like the recipe my MIL gave me over 46 years ago. Very good candy. I usually put an almond on top of the coconut before I dip in chocolate. Yum!"