What's the secret ingredient in these dipped balls? Mashed potatoes! The spuds create the creamy texture, while coconut and chocolate chips figure big in the flavor.
- 2-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup mashed potatoes (prepared without milk and butter)
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, combine coconut, sugar and mashed potatoes; mix well. Roll into 1-in. balls; place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. In a microwave or double boiler, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip the balls into chocolate and then walnuts if desired. Return to waxed paper until chocolate is set. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Originally published as Coconut Surprise Candy in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1999, p39
Reviews for Coconut Surprise Candy
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 18, 2012
"This is exactly like the recipe my MIL gave me over 46 years ago. Very good candy. I usually put an almond on top of the coconut before I dip in chocolate. Yum!"