- 2-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup mashed potatoes (prepared without milk and butter)
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, combine coconut, sugar and mashed potatoes; mix well. Roll into 1-in. balls; place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. In a microwave or double boiler, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip the balls into chocolate and then walnuts if desired. Return to waxed paper until chocolate is set. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Reviews forCoconut Surprise Candy
"This is exactly like the recipe my MIL gave me over 46 years ago. Very good candy. I usually put an almond on top of the coconut before I dip in chocolate. Yum!"