Coconut-Streusel Pear Pie Recipe
I remember my mom making this pie when I was growing up. I make several while I have fresh pears from the family tree, then freeze them for later. One taste tester declared it “the best pear pie I have ever eaten.” —Paula Hoffman, Plainview, Nebraska
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups sliced peeled fresh pears
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cold butter
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut
- 1. Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Add pears and lemon juice. Cook and stir over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until thickened. Pour into pastry.
- 2. For topping, in a small bowl, combine sugar and flour. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in coconut; sprinkle over top. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 306 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 200 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC