I remember my mom making this pie when I was growing up. I make several while I have fresh pears from the family tree, then freeze them for later. One taste tester declared it “the best pear pie I have ever eaten.” —Paula Hoffman, Plainview, Nebraska
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups sliced peeled fresh pears
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cold butter
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Add pears and lemon juice. Cook and stir over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until thickened. Pour into pastry.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine sugar and flour. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in coconut; sprinkle over top. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Coconut-Streusel Pear Pie in Healthy Cooking October/November 2011, p23
Reviews for Coconut-Streusel Pear Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review