Coconut Strawberry Phyllo Cones Recipe
Cute enough to serve weekend guests, these charming desserts come together with phyllo dough and a few kitchen staples.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Bake: 5 min. + cooling YIELD:8 servings
- 4 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 1 cup cold fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- 6 fresh strawberries, divided
- 1. Cut four 12-in. x 6-in. pieces of foil. Fold each in half widthwise. Shape each square into a loosely rolled cone, overlapping the edges about 1-1/2 in.; set aside.
- 2. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; spray with cooking spray. Repeat with one more sheet of phyllo. Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent drying out. Cut in half lengthwise and widthwise. Carefully wrap one phyllo section around each foil cone; spray again with cooking spray.
- 3. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately remove phyllo from foil cones to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat entire procedure with remaining phyllo dough.
- 4. In a small bowl, whisk the milk, extract and pudding for 2 minutes; fold in coconut and whipped topping. Spoon into a pastry bag fitted with a star tip. Finely chop three strawberries and spoon inside the cones. Pipe pudding mixture into cones. Slice remaining strawberries to use as garnish. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving equals 87 calories, 2 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 164 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC