Coconut Slice & Bake Cookies
Tinting flaky white coconut reminds me of snowflakes falling under holiday lights. The reds and greens add colorful Christmas wonder. — Lee Roberts, Racine, Wisconsin
54 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3 cups flaked coconut, divided
- 15 drops red food coloring
- 10 drops green food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy;
- gradually beat in flour. Stir in 1 cup coconut. Divide dough in
- half; shape each into a 7-in.-long roll.
- Place 1 cup coconut into each of two large resealable plastic bags.
- Add red food coloring to one bag; seal bag and shake to tint
- coconut. Repeat with remaining coconut and green coloring. Roll one
- log in red coconut; roll remaining log in green coconut. Wrap logs
- separately in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until firm.
- Cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on
- ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 12-14 minutes or until
- bottoms are light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.