- 3 cups flaked coconut, divided
- 15 drops red food coloring
- 10 drops green food coloring
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Place 1 cup coconut in each of two large resealable plastic bags. Add red food coloring to one bag; seal bag and shake to tint coconut. Repeat with remaining coconut and green food coloring.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; gradually beat in flour. Stir in remaining coconut. Divide dough in half.
- Shape one portion of dough into a 7-in.-long log; roll in red coconut, pressing firmly to help adhere. Wrap in plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining dough and green coconut. Refrigerate 1-2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 12-14 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Coconut Slice & Bake Cookies
"I suggest you freeze the logs and let them thaw out a bit before slicing. Don't try to slice them while they are frozen or they will crumble...let them thaw but not completely thawed. Makes it easier. This recipe freezes well. Make the logs, freeze them, then bake whenever you want a batch for giving away or for yourself."
"If the coconut won't stick, how about brushing the rolled dough with egg white. This would help with the coconut sticking."
"These were so good! Excellent flavor. To get the "bright color", I had to use bakers coloring gel instead of using the usual kind you find at Easter time."
"These seem like they should be fairly simple, but in reality they weren't . The coconut didn't stick and the logs crumbled when I tried to slice them. Probably won't attempt these again"
"Flavor was good- a delicate coconut taste with a classic butter cookie. However I had a lot of difficulty getting the coconut to stick to each log- even after 2 hours of refridgeration. Also, the coconut, when dyed, wasn't vibrant as vibrant as the picture. They are very addicting though!"
"Everyone loved these and they are very easy"