Tinting flaky white coconut reminds me of snowflakes falling under holiday lights. The reds and greens add colorful Christmas wonder. — Lee Roberts, Racine, Wisconsin
- 3 cups flaked coconut, divided
- 15 drops red food coloring
- 10 drops green food coloring
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Place 1 cup coconut in each of two large resealable plastic bags. Add red food coloring to one bag; seal bag and shake to tint coconut. Repeat with remaining coconut and green food coloring.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; gradually beat in flour. Stir in remaining coconut. Divide dough in half.
- Shape one portion of dough into a 7-in.-long log; roll in red coconut, pressing firmly to help adhere. Wrap in plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining dough and green coconut. Refrigerate 1-2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 12-14 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Coconut Slice & Bake Cookies in Taste of Home October/November 2012, p43
Reviews for Coconut Slice & Bake Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review