Coconut Shrimp Recipe
Jumbo shrimp is big on flavor when field editor Marie Hattrup from the Dalles, Oregon gives it a tropical twist. Coconut offers subtle sweetness, and the fruity salsa is delightful as a dip.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 5 min./batch YIELD:6 servings
- 18 uncooked jumbo shrimp (about 1 pound)
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 egg whites
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- APRICOT-PINEAPPLE SALSA:
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact. Make a slit down inner curve of each shrimp, starting with the tail; press lightly to flatten. In a shallow dish, combine the cornstarch, salt and cayenne; set aside. In a bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Place the coconut in another shallow dish. Coat shrimp with cornstarch mixture; dip into egg whites, then coat with coconut.
- 2. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry shrimp, a few at a time, for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- 3. In a bowl, combine salsa ingredients. Serve with shrimp. Yield: 6 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC