Coconut Shrimp with Dipping Sauce Recipe
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) light coconut milk, divided
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1-1/4 pounds uncooked medium shrimp
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut, lightly toasted
- 1/3 cup reduced-sugar apricot preserves
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 1. Place 2 tablespoons coconut milk in a small bowl; cover and refrigerate. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the jalapeno, cilantro and remaining coconut milk. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails on. Add to bag; seal and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2. Place flour in a shallow bowl. In another bowl, lightly beat the egg whites. In a third bowl, combine bread crumbs and coconut. Drain shrimp and discard marinade. Dip shrimp in flour and egg whites, then roll in crumb mixture.
- 3. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 7-9 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Meanwhile, for dipping sauce, add preserves and mustard to the reserved coconut milk. Serve with shrimp. Yield: 5 servings.
10 each: 324 calories, 11g fat (8g saturated fat), 168mg cholesterol, 316mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 lean meat, 2 fat.
Reviews for Coconut Shrimp with Dipping Sauce
"Perfect! I made it for my husband's birthday and he loved it."
"I thought it tasted delicious, but it was tedious and hard to make! Maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time getting the breading to stick! It was frustrating!"
"I found this recipe in the newspaper several years ago and have made it many times. It's a little tiresome to do all of the breading, but the result is well worth it! My husband is always delighted to hear that we're having Coconut Shrimp for dinner!"
"This shrimp was amazing! The sauce was excellent I will definintly make this one again."
"sounds alot like shrimp appetizer served at Bone Fish Grill. I can't wait to try this on my family."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.