Coconut Shrimp with Dipping Sauce Recipe
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) light coconut milk, divided
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1-1/4 pounds uncooked medium shrimp
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut, lightly toasted
- 1/3 cup reduced-sugar apricot preserves
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 1. Place 2 tablespoons coconut milk in a small bowl; cover and refrigerate. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the jalapeno, cilantro and remaining coconut milk. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails on. Add to bag; seal and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2. Place flour in a shallow bowl. In another bowl, lightly beat the egg whites. In a third bowl, combine bread crumbs and coconut. Drain shrimp and discard marinade. Dip shrimp in flour and egg whites, then roll in crumb mixture.
- 3. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 7-9 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Meanwhile, for dipping sauce, add preserves and mustard to the reserved coconut milk. Serve with shrimp. Yield: 5 servings.
about 10 shrimp with 5 teaspoons sauce equals 324 calories, 11 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 168 mg cholesterol, 316 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 fat.
Reviews for Coconut Shrimp with Dipping Sauce
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.