Coconut Shrimp Chowder Recipe
After eating a coconut soup at a Thai restaurant, I added coconut milk in my fish chowder recipe. The fresh, simple ingredients allow the seafood to shine. —Michalene Baskett, Decatur, Georgia
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:5 servings
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add pepper. Stir in the broth, corn, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in coconut milk. Cool slightly.
- 2. In a food processor, process soup in batches until blended. Return all to pan. Add shrimp; cook and stir over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Stir in lime juice and cilantro. Garnish servings with avocado. Yield: 5 servings.
1 cup equals 376 calories, 26 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 112 mg cholesterol, 633 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 20 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC