- 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/8 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- 1 package butter pecan cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, combine rhubarb, sugar, water and, if desired, food coloring. Cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until rhubarb is tender; cool slightly. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with cake mix. Top with coconut and pecans. Drizzle with butter.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve with ice cream if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Coconut Rhubarb Dessert
"Loved this recipe and it will be going into the "to keep and make again" folder."
"Forgot, I could not find the butter pecan cake mix so I used butter cake mix."
"This is a great dessert. I tossed rhubarb with the sugar, put in greased pan, sprinkled dry cake mix over the top, melted butter with the water, poured over dry mix, and added pecand and coconut over top. Easy and perfect, no dry spots. I have used this recipe with other fruit too. Next time I make it with rhubarb I will add another cup making 5 cups and add 1/4 more sugar. My husband says ,"Great, more rhubarb next time!""
"Very nice but a little sweet. I'll use less sugar next time"