- 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/8 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- 1 package butter pecan cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, combine rhubarb, sugar, water and, if desired, food coloring. Cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until rhubarb is tender; cool slightly. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with cake mix. Top with coconut and pecans. Drizzle with butter.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve with ice cream if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Coconut Rhubarb Dessert
"Loved this recipe and it will be going into the "to keep and make again" folder."
"This is a great dessert. I tossed rhubarb with the sugar, put in greased pan, sprinkled dry cake mix over the top, melted butter with the water, poured over dry mix, and added pecand and coconut over top. Easy and perfect, no dry spots. I have used this recipe with other fruit too. Next time I make it with rhubarb I will add another cup making 5 cups and add 1/4 more sugar. My husband says ,"Great, more rhubarb next time!""
"Very nice but a little sweet. I'll use less sugar next time"
"This dessert is so... easy and so... good."
"Not sure what the consistency of this should be, but I think I did it really wrong. I thought I could skip the boil part because my rhubarb was frozen then thawed so it was already soft. Not a good idea. There was way too much moisture in it, I'm guessing because I didn't boil any out in the other step. FYI."
"I tried this dessert with fresh rhubarb from my garden and it was delicious. Will definitely make again..."
"This was excellent! I agree with Mary, nice to have a rhubrb recipe that's a little different. LOVED it. Thanks Connie."