Coconut Raspberry Cookies Recipe
With their yummy raspberry centers, these chewy cookies will disappear from your picnic table fast. My mother used to make these, and they were always my favorite. Now my family enjoys them, too. Store the cooled cookies in a sealed container to keep them soft. —Cheryl Giroux, Amherstburg, Ontario
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch YIELD:30 servings
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, water and extract. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in coconut (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Set aside 2/3 cup dough; roll remaining dough into 1-in. balls. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make a 3/8-in.-deep indentation in the center of each ball. Fill each with 1/2 teaspoon jam. Cover jam with a teaspoonful of reserved dough; seal and reshape into a ball. Repeat.
- 3. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
1 cookie equals 105 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 72 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC