Coconut Raspberry Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup seedless raspberry jam
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, water and extract. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in coconut (dough will be sticky).
- Set aside 2/3 cup dough; roll remaining dough into 1-in. balls. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make a 3/8-in.-deep indentation in the center of each ball. Fill each with 1/2 teaspoon jam. Cover jam with a teaspoonful of reserved dough; seal and reshape into a ball. Repeat.
- Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Coconut Raspberry Cookies
Sort By :
"I have made these cookies 3 times now -once with butter flavored shortening, which I do not recommend; the flavor seemed to be off.Also, since the batter is so sticky I kept my hands wet and molded the cookies by hand that way. Much easier and didn't seem to effect the integrity of the cookie.These are amazing and I always get requests for more."
"This recipe is amazing! I found that allowing the dough to rest and marry made assembly much easier. Also, instead of using the wooden spoon, I used a baby spoon to create the nest and add the perfect amount of preserves. This is definitely a new favorite!"
"I just reduced the water to approximately 1/8 cup. The batter was still sticky, but that helps in sealing the extra dough over the jam. You do need to make a rather large well for 1/2 teasp. jam. Then, I flattened some of the reserved dough in my hand to make a cap for the cookies and just pressed on the edges to seal. They turned out great! I got 34 cookies."
"These were very messy to make but worth the effort. I'll make again for sure."
"Love these cookies. It took a couple of cookies to get the hang of filling and shaping but once I did it went quickly. This is a keeper."