Coconut Poppy Seed Cake Recipe
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 3-1/2 cups cold milk
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 packages (3.4 ounces each) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut, toasted, optional
- 1. Prepare cake according to package directions, adding coconut and poppy seeds to batter.
- 2. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- 3. In a large bowl, whisk the milk, extract and pudding mixes for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Spread over the cake. Spread with whipped topping. Sprinkle with toasted coconut if desired. Yield: 20-24 servings.
Reviews for Coconut Poppy Seed Cake
"Made this and took to a church luncheon. It got a lot of thumbs up! I will be making it again."
"easy and handy, the taste was a little too synthetic from all the mixes - too much salt, too much sugar for my taste. won't be making again."
"I would give this cake a good but not excellent rating. I've tasted better and more moist cakes than this. It was not memorable enough for me to repeat again."
"Husband likes this cake a lot!! Delish :)"
"Try using Instant Coconut pudding in place of the vanilla.....makes it even more of a coconut flavor..."
"I have been making this cake for years for my catering job, and it was delicious....unfortunately, I did stop making it because of the poppy seeds. I cater for a lot of people and quite a few of them get drug tested for their jobs - they just don't do poppy seeds - great summer dessert though"
"Possibly my favorite cake..."
"I made this when I had guests for dinner. Absolutely fabulous!"
"This is my GO TO dessert recipe! I love it. It's so light, it's wonderful for summer."