Coconut Poppy Seed Cake
"This moist coconut cake is definitely one of my most-requested desserts," reports Gail Cayce of Wautoma, Wisconsin. "Use different cake mixes and pudding flavors for variety."
20-24 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 3-1/2 cups cold milk
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 packages (3.4 ounces each) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut, toasted, optional
- Prepare cake according to package directions, adding coconut and
- poppy seeds to batter.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25
- minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out
- clean. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk the milk, extract and pudding mixes for 2
- minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Spread over the
- cake. Spread with whipped topping. Sprinkle with toasted coconut if
- desired. Yield: 20-24 servings.