Watching my mother cook from scratch, I hardly knew that anything was available "pre-made" until I'd left home. One of Mom's best desserts is her creamy old-fashioned coconut pie. A rich slice is true comfort food.
-Mary McGuire, Graham, North Carolina
6-8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, sugar, coconut, eggs, flour,
- butter and vanilla. Pour into pie shell.
- Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate
- leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 331 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 176 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein.