Coconut-Pecan Shortbread Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in coconut and pecans. Divide dough into two portions. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a floured surface, roll each portion to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 1-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. Meanwhile, for filling, in a large heavy saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil. Add corn syrup; cook until syrup turns golden, about 5 minutes (do not stir). Gradually stir in cream and butter.
- 4. Spread a scant 1/2 teaspoon caramel filling on the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Let stand for 2 hours or until set. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 each: 94 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 58mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Coconut-Pecan Shortbread Cookies
"I could not get the dough to stick together in order to be able to roll it out. Therefore, I proceeded to try to put it into a cookie dough scoop. They were crumbly. They tasted good, though."