- 5 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in extracts. Combine the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Stir in coconut and pecans.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine frosting ingredients until smooth; frost cupcakes. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Coconut Pecan Cupcakes
"Delicious! Little troublesome to make, not so much troublesome, just time consuming to make, but very worth it. I followed recipe all the way, and it made 2 dozens cupcakes in a regular size tin. Had enough left over to make 21 mini's. Probably could have made at least 6 more regulars. Wanted to toast the coconut, but just didn't have time. Very Yummy as is. Not a problem with rising as some reviewed, filled about 3/4 full and they were perfect."
"These are delicious!! It is awfully sweet, but very tasty. The only problem I had was that the cupcake batter didn't rise much. I filled them almost full so it didn't really matter. Maybe it isn't supposed to. It was still yummy."
"WOW!!! These were amazing!! I made these for a mothers day lunch and every single one of them went! I was kinda disappointed that there wasnt any leftover for me to eat later :)"
"These are really good, although we found them a bit too sweet for our taste. Will make again and try cutting back on the sugar and use unsweetened coconut next time. Overall - a great cupcake!"
"These cupcakes were the best!!!! Everyone loved them..... very moist!"
"These cupcakes were awesome! My husband loved them. They are probably the best cupcakes I've ever had!"
"I halved the recipe and only used 2 eggs-very good. Loved the nutty taste!"
"use the buttermilk, it complments the frosting"
"I made these for a church pot luck. I ran out of time and did not have time to frost them with the recipe given so i just substituted an almond flavored powdered sugar drizzle. They were a hit and all but a couple were eaten. Everyone raved about how good they tasted. While i liked them, The recipe was not a 1,2,3 step recipe. Also, you have to fill the cupcake liner up almost all of the way. I only filled up the liner half way for the first batch and that batch was not enought (should have read the directions a little better). I did toast the coconut as suggested by another reader. I will make these again, with more time so i can make the frosting also."
"These were fabulous!!!"