Coconut Pecan Cookies Recipe
These golden brown cookies will remind you of German chocolate cake, with chocolate chips and coconut in the batter and a yummy pecan-coconut frosting. A drizzle of chocolate tops them off in a festive way. -Diane Selich Vassar, Michigan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min. + cooling YIELD:39 servings
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/4 cups flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- COOKIE DOUGH:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups (24 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1. For frosting, in a large saucepan, combine the egg, milk, sugar and butter. Cook and stir over medium-low heat for 10-12 minutes or until slightly thickened and mixture reaches 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Stir in coconut and pecans. Set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in 2 cups chips and coconut.
- 3. Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. In a microwave, melt the remaining chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Spread frosting over cooled cookies; drizzle with melted chocolate. Yield: 6-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 243 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 174 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC