Coconut Pecan Cake Recipe
"This deliciously different bundt cake won 'Best of Show' when I entered it in the Laramie County Fair recently," reports Virginia Price from Cheyenne, Wyoming. Syrup poured over the hot cake makes the outside crusty and soaks into enhance the flavor.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling YIELD:10-12 servings
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 teaspoons coconut extract, divided
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, 2 cups sugar, oil and 2 teaspoons extract. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture alternately with buttermilk just until moistened. stir in coconut and pecans.
- 2. Spoon into a greased 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the water, butter and remaining sugar. Bring to a boil; cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; add remaining extract.
- 4. Slowly pour hot syrup over hot cake. Cool in pan for 4 hours before removing to a serving plate. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 630 calories, 32 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 198 mg sodium, 80 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC