Coconut Oatmeal Crispies Recipe
My mother-in-law baked these cookies in the 1930s for her two sons, and later for her grandchildren. Now I make them for my grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch YIELD:24 servings
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the oats, flour, coconut, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Shape into two 6-in. rolls; wrap each roll in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- 2. Unwrap dough and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 220 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 170 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC