My mother-in-law baked these cookies in the 1930s for her two sons, and later for her grandchildren. Now I make them for my grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the oats, flour, coconut, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Shape into two 6-in. rolls; wrap each roll in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Unwrap dough and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Coconut Oatmeal Crispies in Country Extra July 2002, p49
Reviews for Coconut Oatmeal Crispies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 28, 2009
"DELICIOUS! I used half regular shortening and half real butter. A fabulous cookie!"