- flute edges. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of
- heavy-duty foil.
- Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, milk
- and egg yolks. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches
- 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Gently stir in coconut and butter. Pour into
- For meringue, in a small bowl, beat egg white and cream of tartar on
- medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1
- tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and
- sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to
- Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours
- before serving.
- Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 pie (calculated without toasted coconut) equals 590 calories, 29 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 237 mg cholesterol, 325 mg sodium, 71 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 12 g protein.