Coconut Meringue Pie Recipe
This cute coconut pie from Lois Bayliff of Findlay, Ohio has a fluffy meringue filling that bakes to beautiful, tall peaks and is sprinkled with toasted coconut flakes.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons flaked coconut
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg white
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Flaked coconut, toasted, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to fit a 5-in. pie plate. Transfer to pie plate. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil.
- 3. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- 4. For filling, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, milk and egg yolks. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in coconut and butter. Pour into crust.
- 5. For meringue, in a small bowl, beat egg white and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- 6. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Yield: 2 servings.
1/2 pie (calculated without toasted coconut) equals 590 calories, 29 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 237 mg cholesterol, 325 mg sodium, 71 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC