Coconut Marshmallow Squares Recipe
One of my favorite childhood memories includes eating these coconut-covered candies. You can make them throughout the year using a variety of food coloring. —Heather Warner, Salt Lake City, Utah
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. YIELD:36 servings
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1-1/4 cups cold water, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups flaked coconut, chopped
- 2 to 3 drops red or yellow food coloring, optional
- 1. In a large bowl of a heavy-duty mixer, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water; set aside. In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar and remaining water. Cook and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Cook over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 234° (soft-ball stage), stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; slowly pour over gelatin, beating constantly. Immediately add egg whites. Use the candy thermometer to make sure mixture is at least 160°. Continue to beat 15-20 minutes longer. Beat in vanilla. Pour into a greased 9-in. square pan. Cool for 3 hours or until firm enough to cut into squares.
- 2. In a shallow bowl, combine coconut and food coloring if desired. Roll marshmallow squares in coconut. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: 3 dozen (about 1-1/2 pounds.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC