Coconut Marshmallow Squares
One of my favorite childhood memories includes eating these coconut-covered candies. You can make them throughout the year using a variety of food coloring.
—Heather Warner, Salt Lake City, Utah
36 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1-1/4 cups cold water, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups flaked coconut, chopped
- 2 to 3 drops red or yellow food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl of a heavy-duty mixer, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup
- cold water; set aside. In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar and
- remaining water. Cook and stir over low heat until sugar is
- dissolved. Cook over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads
- 234° (soft-ball stage), stirring occasionally. Remove from the
- heat; slowly pour over gelatin, beating constantly. Immediately add
- egg whites. Use the candy thermometer to make sure mixture is at
- least 160°. Continue to beat 15-20 minutes longer. Beat in
- vanilla. Pour into a greased 9-in. square pan. Cool for 3 hours or
- until firm enough to cut into squares.
- In a shallow bowl, combine coconut and food coloring if desired. Roll
- marshmallow squares in coconut. Store in an airtight container in
- the refrigerator. Yield: 3 dozen (about 1-1/2 pounds.