- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1-1/4 cups cold water, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, chopped
- 2 to 3 drops red or yellow food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl of a heavy-duty mixer, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water; set aside. In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar and remaining water. Cook and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Cook over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 234° (soft-ball stage), stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; slowly pour over gelatin, beating constantly. Immediately add egg whites. Use the candy thermometer to make sure mixture is at least 160°. Continue to beat 15-20 minutes longer. Beat in vanilla. Pour into a greased 9-in. square pan. Cool for 3 hours or until firm enough to cut into squares.
- In a shallow bowl, combine coconut and food coloring if desired. Roll marshmallow squares in coconut. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: 3 dozen (about 1-1/2 pounds.
Reviews forCoconut Marshmallow Squares
"I thought this was very good, I tried it with toasted coconut and also with toasted coconut ad macadamia nuts and or cashews"