Coconut-Mango Mahi Mahi Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 6 mahi mahi fillets (5 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons peanut or canola oil
- 2 medium mangoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1. Place flour and eggs in separate shallow bowls. In another shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs and coconut. Dip fillets in flour, eggs, then bread crumb mixture.
- 2. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook fish in oil for 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown on the outside and fish just turns opaque in the center.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the mangoes, wine, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, soy sauce and pepper; cover and process until blended. Stir in basil. Serve with fish. Yield: 6 servings (1-1/2 cups sauce).
1 fillet with 1/4 cup sauce equals 374 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 168 mg cholesterol, 315 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 31 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 fat, 1 starch, 1 fruit.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.