Coconut Lemon Crisps Recipe
- 7 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1. In a small bowl, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour and mix well. On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. round cookie cutter. Repeat with remaining dough, using a floured 2-in. doughnut cutter so the center is cut out of each cookie.
- 2. Place 1 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Brush egg white over cookies with cutout centers; sprinkle with coconut. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. For filling, in a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolk; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; gently stir in butter and lemon juice. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- 4. Spread a teaspoonful of filling on the bottom of each solid cookie; place coconut topped cookie over lemon filling. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 253 calories, 15 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 149 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.