Coconut Ice Cream
This is a refreshing dessert that can cap off a warm summer evening. It has a nice coconut flavor without being too strong.
16 ServingsPrep: 40 min. + cooling Process: 20 min./batch + freezing
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut, divided
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Toasted flaked coconut, optional
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, salt and milk; cook and stir over
- medium heat just until mixture begins to boil. Stir in 1/2 cup
- coconut. Remove from the heat; let stand for 30 minutes.
- Strain, discarding coconut. Place milk mixture in a large bowl; add
- cream, vanilla and remaining coconut. Freeze in an ice cream freezer
- according to manufacturer's directions.
- Transfer to a 2-qt. freezer container. Cover and freeze for at least
- 4 hours before serving. Garnish with toasted coconut if desired.
- Yield: 2 quarts.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 373 calories, 27 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 90 mg cholesterol, 149 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a