This is a refreshing dessert that can cap off a warm summer evening. It has a nice coconut flavor without being too strong.
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut, divided
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Toasted flaked coconut, optional
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, salt and milk; cook and stir over medium heat just until mixture begins to boil. Stir in 1/2 cup coconut. Remove from the heat; let stand for 30 minutes.
- Strain, discarding coconut. Place milk mixture in a large bowl; add cream, vanilla and remaining coconut. Freeze in an ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's directions.
- Transfer to a 2-qt. freezer container. Cover and freeze for at least 4 hours before serving. Garnish with toasted coconut if desired. Yield: 2 quarts.
Originally published as Coconut Ice Cream in Country Extra July 2000, p51
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Coconut Ice Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 17, 2012
"way easy...love cocunut and with chocolate sauce tasted like mounds bar"