Guaranteed to brighten up gloomy winter afternoons, these treats offer refreshing tropical flair with the flavors of orange and coconut. An easy glaze completes the light scones with sweet results.
- 3-3/4 cups self-rising flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plus 1 to 2 tablespoons fat-free milk, divided
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and baking powder. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, 1 cup milk and orange peel; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Roll into a 14-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Using a floured pizza cutter, cut widthwise into 2-in. strips, then cut diagonally into 2-in. strips, forming diamond shapes. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, coconut extract and enough remaining milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over scones. Serve warm. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Coconut-Glazed Orange Scones in Light & Tasty February/March 2006, p8
Reviews for Coconut-Glazed Orange Scones
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review