Coconut Gingerbread Cake
This unusual dessert came from a little book I bought at a flea market many years ago. The broiled orange-coconut topping really dressed up a boxed gingerbread mix. When I bring it to potlucks and family get-togethers, it never lasts long!
-Paula Hartlett, Mineola, New York
9 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package (14-1/2 ounces) gingerbread cake/cookie mix
- 1 large navel orange
- 1-1/3 cups flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using a
- greased 8-in. square baking pan. Cool slightly on a wire rack.
- Grate 1 tablespoon of peel from the orange; set aside. Peel and
- section orange, removing white pith; dice the orange.
- In a small bowl, combine the coconut, brown sugar, orange juice,
- diced orange and reserved peel; spread over warm cake. Broil 4 in.
- from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 323 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 341 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.