Coconut-Ginger Chickpeas & Tomatoes Recipe
This is my go-to quick dish. When you add tomatoes, you can also toss in some chopped green peppers (jalapenos, if you like heat) to make it even more colorful. —Mala Udayamurthy, San Jose, California
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped (about 1-1/3 cups)
- 3 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 4-1/2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- Additional minced fresh cilantro, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook and stir until crisp-tender. Add tomatoes, jalapeno and ginger; cook and stir 2-3 minutes longer or until tender.
- 2. Stir in chickpeas, water and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 4-5 minutes or until liquid is almost evaporated. Remove from heat; stir in coconut milk and cilantro.
- 3. Serve with rice; sprinkle with additional cilantro if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
2/3 cup chickpea mixture with 3/4 cup rice equals 402 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 590 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 11 g protein.
Reviews for Coconut-Ginger Chickpeas & Tomatoes
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC