- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped (about 1-1/3 cups)
- 3 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 4-1/2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- Additional minced fresh cilantro, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook and stir until crisp-tender. Add tomatoes, jalapeno and ginger; cook and stir 2-3 minutes longer or until tender.
- Stir in chickpeas, water and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 4-5 minutes or until liquid is almost evaporated. Remove from heat; stir in coconut milk and cilantro.
- Serve with rice; sprinkle with additional cilantro if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Coconut-Ginger Chickpeas & Tomatoes
"Always looking for delicious, nutritious meatless suppers and this one filled the bill. We love exotic flavors and the ginger, coconut, jalapeno, and cilantro were perfectly yummy! I shared it with a co-worker for lunch the next day and it was declared a keeper. I had all the ingredients on hand which made it a great last minute dish, as well."
"This is a five star dish. I had it tonight and every one liked it. I did not have a fresh jalapeno so I used my pickled sliced ones and finely diced them was perfect. Will use fresh the next time."