Coconut Fruitcake Recipe
We live in a little community of 27—if everyone's home! A neighbor game this recipe when we first moved here, saying it dated back to the 1800"s and everybody in the area made it. I soon discovered why when I took a taste...and I'm not a fruit cake fan! My husband, who's the inventor of a three-point bale mover, and I have a grown son. I'm a crafter and collector.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 80 min. + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 pound chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Additional candied fruit or nuts, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extract. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with orange juice. Stir in the candied fruit, coconut, raisins and nuts.
- 2. Press into a greased and waxed paper-lined 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 300° for 80-90 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Garnish with candied fruit or nuts if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 370 calories, 14 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 292 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC