Coconut Fried Shrimp
These crisp and crunchy shrimp make a tempting appetizer or a fun change-of-pace main dish. The coconut coating adds a little sweetness...and the tangy orange marmalade and honey sauce is great for dipping. It's impossible to stop munching these once you start!
-Ann Atchison, O'Fallon, Missouri
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups cornstarch
- 6-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 2-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Additional oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup honey
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Stir in water
- and oil until smooth. Place coconut in another bowl. Dip shrimp into
- batter, then coat with coconut.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry
- shrimp, a few at a time, for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Drain
- on paper towels.
- In a small saucepan, heat marmalade and honey; stir until blended.
- Serve with shrimp. Yield: 4 servings.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon